What is AmeriCorps?
which started in 1994, is considered the domestic version of the Peace Corps.
Members serve in communities across America, including Salina, Kansas! To learn
more, visit the National
AmeriCorps Website or The Kansas Volunteer Commission.
Ashby House has 5 Full-Time AmeriCorps Positions Available for
or Opportunity Knocks Program from August 1, 2016 - July 31, 2017.
Benefits of Service
- Training and professional development
- Bi-monthly living allowance—$481.92
- Education Award that can be used for past, current, or future higher education pursuits—$5,730
- KNOWING YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
3 Different Service Opportunities
- Workforce Development Specialist
AmeriCorps Members who specialize in career development and job
networking experiences are wanted for these 2 positions. Members will develop
and facilitate curriculum targeting employment related skills, such as
professional resume writing, job interviewing, and job placement services.
Residents also receive computerized learning in Microsoft Office programs,
basic accounting, and typing proficiency needed to qualify for today’s jobs
- Financial Literacy Specialist
Debt management and learning how to save for the future are
critical to Ashby House residents being able to move into their own housing. As
such, the Opportunity Knocks program offers 1 AmeriCorps Member position
available to an individual with expertise in money management, addressing
creditors, and prioritizing financial goals.
Childcare serves as a major obstacle to finding employment,
securing employment, and pursuing higher education needed to qualify for higher
paying jobs. 2 AmeriCorps Members are desired to develop and facilitate both
fun and educational childcare lesson plans to at-risk youth ages 0 and up!
What do our AMERICORPS Members Do?
- Curriculum development
- 1-on-1 case management services with individuals and families
- Group facilitation
- Creative problem solving
- Connect residents to local community services and resources
- Improve parent-child relationships
- Develop community partnerships
- Enhance children’s desire to learn
- Assist individuals and families in establishing safe housing
- Plan special events honoring National Service Days
- Educating communities on AmeriCorps and other service opportunities
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF MANY!
About Opportunity Knocks
The Opportunity Knocks program was designed to develop and
implement a workforce training program that promotes self-sufficiency among
Salina’s homeless residents. When reviewing existing jobs training programs,
Ashby House staff had 1 overall objective in mind – to reduce the gap between
homeless residents in need of job training and those actually willing to,
accepted to, and could afford to participate in a job training program.
Workshops offered include:
Interested in Learning More?
Contact Jennifer Prentiss at (785) 826-4935 or email email@example.com